Saturday, September 13, 2014

Luxe Look-Alike



My current home obsessions are detailed with a fashion-like appeal. I like anything that shimmers in gold, and anything that will look good if I turned it gold. I took a trip to the thrift store near my home last weekend. I was specifically looking for picture frames to finish a new wall art project that I had in mind. I strolled down the rows in the home section of the store, looking at their glass and wooden object collection. The first thing that I spotted was this star-shaped frosted glass candle-stick holder. It was abandoned right in the middle of all of the other miscellaneous things screaming -- Pick me! Pick me!


I remembered that I had been browsing the net the night before, and I thought about how cool it would be to have geometric objects on the coffee or dining table in my home. See, the thing is that I would not dare spend more than is necessary to be content with a material possession. The star reminded me of something that I had seen on Dwell Studio's website, costing $175. My look-alike star only cost $.99. I grabbed my star, clutched it in my hands, and turned around. Almost right after, I spied on a second craving. I could not believe it! My spirits started fluttering, and my feet lifted off of the ground. I floated over to the shelf, and picked up this brown vase with indent detail on it, costing $2.99. The original inspiration for this look-alike is the Curiosity Vase, and costs $1,125 at Kelly Wearstler. I believe that the vase is hand-crafted with ceramic materials, and painted in a 22 k gold glaze--- yes, this would have to be insured against theft.

After getting home and unpacking my purchases, I gave both of the objects a coat of gold spray paint, and a layer of glossy top coat. They currently do not have a place on either of my tables. I am still in the process of styling both my coffee and dining tables.